Graphic Literature: Getting longer. (3pts)

Some of my earliest memories of graphic literature are from the Geronimo Stilton books I read back in elementary school. I guess you could classify them as an illustrated novel, since the pages would alternate between having drawings and then words, going back and forth with the occasional spread to emphasize a climax in the story. Most stories were self-contained, and the first spread of every book had an illustration of Geronimo’s workplace showing off all the characters of the series, and each book that you read you’d be able to recognize more of them.



The reason I bring this up is because the work I chose to read this week, Jeff Smith’s bone, gives me very similar vibes to the Geronimo Stilton franchise. They do differ in one way though, while Stilton feels like an evolution of a picture storybook like Goodnight Moon or If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Bone feels like an extension of a comics strip like peanuts or Ducktales. The humor is quick and snappy, most of it being driven by visual gags. From a tiny bug having an enormous older brother to an entire foot of snow falling at once to show off the foretold rapid change of seasons, bone has a tight sense of humor. Jokes are fired off rapid fire, so even if one gag isn’t all that funny the next one might land better. I think that some variance in panel layout could add a bit more to the gags but even as it is Bone works well and is easy to read, much like its Sunday funnies forefathers. 


As for past experiences with Literary Classics as comics, my high school library had a few manga styled copies of the scarlet letter, and from what I recall it was used by a few people whose only form of reading was manga & comics. For this class I looked at Journey to the center of earth. While the art is a little rigid, it is counterbalanced by the quickened pace brought out by the 60 page limit. I think it does a good job at communicating the story and I especially like how it communicates darkness by using line art in contrast to full color in the light.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comics By Women: Different perspectives. (12 points)

Craig Thompson & Will Eisner: Nothing to hide (9 Points)

The Arrival: Stranger in a Strange Land (3 Points)